Overcome with grief, he began to cry.
Zeus heard him weeping and realised what had happened. So he turned both mother and son into constellations. Callisto became the Ursa Major, the largest constellation in the northern sky. Arcas became the Ursa Minor.
- Ursa Major Constellation!
- Murderers Row: An International Murderers Whos Who?
- Night Sky Interlude -- Spring Skies.
- Up above the world so high?
- The Wrong Time (The Wrong Trilogy Book 2)?
- Variations on a Scottish theme - Piano?
The story goes that Arcas turned to see his mother while being placed in the sky and so the Little Bear curves towards the Great Bear. Young World.
You are here
Look up into the night sky and see the Great Bear and the Little Bear. But how did the bear end up among the stars? Walk in the woods Zeus, the king of gods, fell in love with a young woman called Callisto. Submit Please enter a valid email address. Related Topics Young World astronomy.
Related Articles. Recommended for you. Callisto wandered the forest for years in bear form, until a chance meeting with her son, Arcas, who raised his spear to strike at the bear.
Featured constellations: the Bears and a Dragon - Parks Blog
Hera was not pleased by this, however, and conspired with the gods of the sea so that the Bear could never swim in the ocean; this is why Ursa Major never sets at least as seen in the northern hemisphere, from Greece-- or Cleveland. Things to remember: The Big Dipper is circumpolar, so it is visible year round. But it is highest in the sky in Spring.
- NIGHT SKY~THE GREAT BEAR & THE LITTLE BEAR;
- How To Feng Shui (feng shui tips for a feng shui home Book 1);
- Story behind the Great bear and Little bear constellations in the night sky - The Hindu?
- A Journey of Discovery: Dreams & Dream Interpretation through the Ages.!
- No More Monkey Business In The Jungle.Did You Say Gators In The Desert?.
- Sky Bears, Earth Bears: Finding and Losing True North?
- The Story of Ursa Major and Ursa Minor: A Roman Constellation Myth.
Mizar is an optical double star -- try it! Leo the Lion Leo is the Nemean Lion killed by the Hercules The bright star Regulus is known as the heart of the Lion, and is actually a quadruple star. But it houses one of the brightest stars in the sky, Arcturus.